Rechercher dans ce blog

Saturday, May 1, 2021

Recipe: Fresh Strawberry Pie - Alabama NewsCenter

arome.indah.link

A post on Facebook the other day got me thinking about being grateful for closed doors and unanswered prayers. I know they seem like strange things to be thankful for, but think about it. Wherever you are in life, you’ve obviously had doors closed and prayers gone unanswered – or, better yet, not answered in the way you thought they’d be answered.

For instance, when it was time for me to make my choice about college, I had scholarships at several universities. The one university that I really wanted to go to offered a full-tuition scholarship to any student who scored above a certain number on the ACT. Well, I knew my parents didn’t really have the money to send me to college, but I really wanted to go. So I studied and worked my rear off and finally got the score I wanted (after a few tries).

Well, I’ll save you the dramatic details, but it didn’t work out. I had the apartment and everything, but that door closed. As result, I found myself at a local university that was only about 30 minutes from home. It ended up as the most amazing college experience I could ever have imagined. And chances are, had I not found myself close to home, I may not have rekindled the relationship with my high school sweetheart and might not be married to her right now with the most amazing little boy.

While it was disappointing not being able to go to my dream college, I ended up having something even better happen. It can be something simple like catching a glimpse of a beautiful rainbow on the way home only because you got diverted to another route due to traffic or an accident.

It can be something big, like ending up with an amazing spouse and best friend because God’s plan wasn’t to send you to the college you had your heart set on. Things just have a way of working out. Whether you find yourself on the pinnacle of life or down in the valley, you’re there for a reason.

And though you may not always have the vision to see it, the door that was slammed in your face was slammed because the sun is streaming through a window right around the corner and it’s the sunshine you need to see.

You’ve just got to have the courage to go open that window.

Y’all, this pie is a family favorite. My Mom has been making it for as long as I can remember. If you love the strawberry pie from Shoney’s, you’ll love this one, too.

It’s got tons of great strawberry flavor and is super easy to make.

And this recipe has a little twist. When I was growing up, one of Dad’s best friends was a diabetic. Mom would make the low-sugar version of this pie just for him.

Serve with fresh whipped cream or with a thawed frozen whipped topping. (Stacey Little/Southern Bite)

I’ve offered it up both ways below so you can choose if you want to go the low-sugar route or not. Y’all enjoy.

Fresh Strawberry Pie

Prep time: 20 minutes

Total time: 20 minutes

Serves: 8

Ingredients

  • 1 (12-ounce) can lemon-lime soda
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1 (3-ounce) box strawberry Jell-O
  • 1 (16-ounce) container of strawberries
  • 1 (9-inch) prepared pie crust (regular or graham cracker), baked according to the package instructions

Instructions

  1. In a medium pot, bring the lemon-lime soda and cornstarch to a boil.
  2. Boil until the liquid is nearly clear – about 3 minutes.
  3. Remove from the stove and add the Jell-O; mix well.
  4. While the mixture cools, wash, hull and cut the strawberries in half.
  5. Stir the strawberries into the gelatin mixture and pour into the prepared pie crust.
  6. Chill until set.
  7. Serve with fresh whipped cream or thawed frozen whipped topping.

Notes for low-sugar version

  • Replace soda with 1 (12-ounce) can diet lemon-lime soda
  • Replace strawberry Jell-O with 1 (3-ounce) box sugar-free strawberry Jell-O
  • Replace whipped topping with thawed sugar-free frozen whipped topping.

This recipe originally appeared on SouthernBite.com. For more great recipes, visit the website or check out ”The Southern Bite Cookbook.”

The Link Lonk


May 02, 2021 at 12:31AM
https://ift.tt/3gTJj8x

Recipe: Fresh Strawberry Pie - Alabama NewsCenter

https://ift.tt/2CPpHAw
Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Recipe: English Pea Pasta - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic

arome.indah.link There is something special about using fresh peas straight out of the pod. This recipe was inspired by our root-to-stem ph...

Popular Posts