Rechercher dans ce blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

What British Pie Week taught me about food snobbery - Islington Now

arome.indah.link
Pie
There could be worse things to dedicate your week to (Vicky Jessop)

There’s nothing quite like a good pie. No matter how upmarket your tastes, or how much you praise the virtues of elegant cuisine, sinking your teeth into a slice of pastry and juicy filling will always be uniquely satisfying. When eaten in cold weather, the feeling is doubled.

The pie is a British institution. We can’t get enough of them: the success of bakery chain Greggs is a case in point, and at least 75% of us enjoy scoffing at least one pie per month. Sweet pies, savoury pies – you name it, we’ve probably stuffed it in some pastry and baked it. And, because British Pie Week is apparently a thing, I decided to celebrate it in the most apt way possible: by making a pie of my very own.

Spoiler alert: I can’t cook, and I’ve certainly never attempted a pie before. But because pushing boundaries are good for all of us, I dutifully went and googled the UK’s most popular recipe. The result was a nice, healthy steak and ale. Perhaps it was naïveté, but I balked slightly when BBC Good Foods told me to go and buy a pint of ale and a kilo of steak. Talk about pushing the boat out… Duly armed with my massive slab of meat, I set out to recreate a British classic.

To cut a long story short, the whole experience left me with a renewed appreciation of how hard it is to make a decent pie. My rough puff pastry left me with grated fingers, and butter leaked all over the top, while my steak and ale filling rose to greet it, resulting in a soggy, half-burnt mess that my partner raised both eyebrows at and then pushed delicately aside. A Bake-Off victory it was not. If Paul Hollywood had seen this, he’d probably have cried.

The next day, I headed to the nearest Greggs to buy myself a steak bake, straight from the oven. It was a concession of sorts: if I can’t make a great pie, at least I can trust an institution like Greggs to do justice to it. It might have been a low-key way to finish this year’s Pie Week, but Greggs’ offering was just as good as I remembered. 

Pie Week is just the kind of event I like to roll my eyes at. A week for pies? Come on, what’s next – a National Yorkshire Pudding day? Turns out there is one: 7 February. Any other year, perhaps I would have scoffed and moved on. But there’s something alluring about the humble pie that transcends mere food-week snobbery.

The Link Lonk


March 03, 2021 at 04:08PM
https://ift.tt/3e5qrC5

What British Pie Week taught me about food snobbery - Islington Now

https://ift.tt/2CPpHAw
Pie

1 comment:

  1. Hanya di DEWALOTTO BO terpercaya permainan terlengkap dengan proses tercepat dan pelayanan 24jam dari kami yang siap melayanin anda semua jadi tunggu apa lagi yuk segera bergabung..
    ADD WA +855 888765575 Terima Kasih admint...:)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Recipe: English Pea Pasta - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic

arome.indah.link There is something special about using fresh peas straight out of the pod. This recipe was inspired by our root-to-stem ph...

Popular Posts