Rechercher dans ce blog

Monday, July 27, 2020

It's official: NJ hot dog landmark Libby's Lunch in Paterson will close for good July 30 - NorthJersey.com

arome.indah.link
CLOSE

New Jersey is the world capital of hot dogs, and North Jersey is its epicenter. NorthJersey.com

It's official — sadly.

Libby's Lunch, North Jersey’s beloved hot dog institution in Paterson, the oldest operating Texas Weiner joint in the state, will close permanently on Thursday, July 30. The Record and NorthJersey.com had reported on July 17 that the iconic diner-like spot was likely to close. It owes three years of back rent, and its lease ends on July 31. 

On its Facebook page, North Jersey's hot dog mecca, which sits across the street from the Great Falls of Paterson, announced that its last day will be "this Thursday." It continued: 

"Come and get your last taste of the delicious crunchy deep fried hot dog as well as many other awesome foods made with love for you ... Paterson is home and family to our family. You all have a special place in our heart ... Please stop in to say goodbye."

Libby's, which leases the building and land from the city of Paterson, owes $93,000 in rent. "They are going to remit the payment," Mayor Andre Sayegh said. 

"I didn't want to lose Libby's," he continued. "We extended an option to renew their lease, but they declined."

Reader — covering our local communities takes time and resources. Help us better support your community by becoming a subscriber today — see our special offers.

As a result, the city will ask for proposals from developers and restaurateurs and award a contract to the highest and best bidder. Libby's opened in 1936.

"I am very confident with the level of development that we have planned for the Great Falls area, there will be significant interest," Sayegh said. The mayor hopes to turn the Great Falls into a "world-class visitor center and tourist attraction" in the next few years. Sayegh said a few people who have called him said they envisioned building a two-story restaurant with a view of the falls. 

The unadorned squat building is vintage Jersey: a diner-like space with a large counter, old-fashioned stools, green banquettes and lots of sepia photos on the walls. For many, Libby's Texas Weiner is the standard and arguably the best in the state.

Not familiar with a Texas Weiner? It is a deep-fried hot dog topped by "chili" that's not your traditional beans-and-meat chili but a somewhat sweet-tasting tomato-y sauce. It was born in Paterson more than nine decades ago. 

CLOSED: Award-winning Cucharamama in Hoboken is the latest restaurant victim of the pandemic

FOR SUBSCRIBERS: North Jersey is the epicenter of hot dog heaven. Here are 11 of the best spots for a frank

Fans of Libby's took to Facebook to lament its closing.

"So Sad that they’re closing," wrote one. "A Paterson Landmark!!! The best Hot Dogs in town!!

Said another, "I’m so sad... I couldn’t wait to come here every time I visited NJ from my home in Scotland! My all time favorite place, wish I could stop in one last time."

And still another: "When I heard the news earlier this week, I literally felt like I lost a family member. Libby's has always been a regular part of my entire family's lives while growing up. And even though I've been in Florida for 18 years now, Libby's was always one of my first stops when I went back, one of my last stops when leaving, and I always brought sauce back to FL with me. I'm thankful that I still have a few quarts of sauce in my freezer from my last trip up there (I bought 12 quarts!)."

Esther Davidowitz is the food editor for NorthJersey.com. For more on where to dine and drink, please subscribe today and sign up for our North Jersey Eats newsletter.

Email: davidowitz@northjersey.com Twitter: @estherdavido 

Read or Share this story: https://ift.tt/3jLaCRt

The Link Lonk


July 27, 2020 at 11:18PM
https://ift.tt/3jLaCRt

It's official: NJ hot dog landmark Libby's Lunch in Paterson will close for good July 30 - NorthJersey.com

https://ift.tt/2NATr6h
Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Recipe: English Pea Pasta - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic

arome.indah.link There is something special about using fresh peas straight out of the pod. This recipe was inspired by our root-to-stem ph...

Popular Posts